Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Shower Curtain + Quilt = Headache.

"Real" seamstresses please avert your eyes from reading this post.

Seriously why don't you go look over here instead?

Scram.

*And the rest of you please squint slightly and glance quickly when you look at the photos...*

On my trip to Target last weekend I got an awesome clearance deal on two cotton shower curtains. They were only $2.30 each. Cheaper then a yard of fabric. I got one in aqua and one in yellow since it was such a good deal. Ever since Lex moved into a toddler bed I've been on the lookout for warm bedding. On Christmas my grandpa happened to give Lex a quilt that he had won in a raffle. The quilt had a random combination of footballs and Scottie dogs on it. No, I'm not joking. Footballs and Scottie dogs. Since I was never going to use the football quilt I decided to cover it with the cotton shower curtain.

I wanted the top half of the blanket to have the cotton shower curtain fabric with this block pattern...

...and the backside of the blanket to be made from super soft T-shirt sheets. A smart person would have just made a simple duvet cover, basically a huge pillow case, and put the quilt inside of the cover. But for some unknown reason I decided that I would much rather sew the fabric directly onto the quilt. Bad idea. I got about halfway done and it looked horrible. I ended up having to put an extra layer of fabric under the curtain fabric or else the dog pattern would show through. Which resulted in many THICK layers of fabric. And yadda yadda yadda, things got complicated. 

 Some people tell me that I am a very stubborn person. But I like to think of it as determination. I was too determined to scratch the whole project. So I decided to rip out a few seams and try a different approach.  "Measure twice, cut once" or in my case, don't. So in the end the blanket has a few holes that I had to repair after losing some of the fabric. One long seam has the curtain fabric folded under, and one long seam has the curtain fabric wrapping to the backside. Oh well, thats what I get for just diving in without a plan. Anyhow, nothing says "Mommy loves you" like a wonky meandering seam. 


It is better to restyle something then to never use it, right? 


Finished Product


Sniff sniff, all grown up at 17 months. Doesn't look like the nursery any more. 

Mommy loves you. 

4 comments:

autumn said...

Adorable! Did you post about moving into a toddler bed? were thinking of doing that with Nolie (my one year old) in the soonish months and am at a loss at to how to do this!

ps. thanks for the follow!

Rachel at The Inspired House.org said...

Aww, I love your project..and your honesty! :) Your little one is absolutely adorable!

Yellowbird said...

Thank you Rachel!

Autumn- No, I really had no clue how to do it either. Pretty much I used the "Super Nanny" method. The first time he gets up I talk to him, tell him it is time to go to bed, etc.. Spend about 2 min with him. After that if he wakes up again there is no talking. Just simply take his hand and lead him back to bed. Over and over and over and over again. : )

The first night was awesome, the second night he was awake (playing and being totally awake!) from 3 am to 6 am, the third night up for about one hour.

Since then its been pretty smooth. A few nights where he gets up a few times but overall he has been doing great. Thank the Lord.

Beth said...

Cute blog! I love your craftiness and candidness! I like to wing it when I make things too, doing it perfectly takes too much time!