Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A handmade Christmas, pt. 1

Last year I devoted all of my Christmas shopping to thrift shop gag gifts because we were poor. This year I decided to give myself the same challenge...but they will be meaningful gifts instead. So in the upcoming weeks I'll be showing you all my thriftgift transformations. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before I was a mom I used to believe in the idea of nurture over nature. But man, have I been proven wrong. My son hit 13 months and like clockwork he can't stop talking about, mimicking, and pointing to anything with an engine and wheels. On the other hand, my 2 year-old niece practices her mothering skills all day long to her baby dolls. My sister is the most un-girly mom on the planet and I know nothing about cars. So I guess my experiment proves that it is nature all the way.

Anyway, my project tonight is for my niece and her babymama skills. 

Before: $8 Goodwill 


And yes, I'm trying to fool your eye by showing the "before" picture in a bland background with a shower curtain as a backdrop, and the "after" photos on my snazzy black rug. Did it work? 

After: 

Just added some grey paint, red painted and fabric details,
 and sewed a little blankie and pillow. Ugly Doll not included. 


The deer is fabric, the rest of the red is painted. 

Lighting is bad on this last photo. I kept getting major glare off of the red paint.
 But I think you get the point. 

 The finished product kind of looks "wintery" to me. I guess it is the color combinations.
 I can't wait to see her face when she opens it! 

1 comment:

Eva said...

so cute! wonderful idea