Pages

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Broken lines

I don't know if this matters to you.... but this is my blog, so I'm going to go ahead and talk about it anyway.

I can't get enough of the Dutch ballet lately! I've been looking for inspiration for my ballet classes by watching endless Youtube dance videos. I somehow came across the choreographer named Christopher Wheeldon, and then I died, and went to heaven (...not only because of his dashing good looks). Then I came back, only to log back into Youtube and watch his dances over and over and over and over again. He uses classically trained ballerinas in such a *new* way. His work is truly revolutionary. Watch and see if you can see the differences, even as an "untrained" viewer. He uses large scale movement, almost like a jazz dance (think of Swan Lake with all of it's fluttery small movements, this is exactly the opposite of that). He somehow creates beautifully broken lines, while still having the feel of a classic ballet. I'm in LOVE.

1 comment:

Becca said...

WOW! Beautiful. I really love how much they move. Often, when I watch ballet (or when I've done it) I feel like the movements are so small and minute that they're lost on the audience. Part of you wants to just break out of it and *dance*. This is the perfect blend. Thanks for posting! I'll be sure to show Em.