Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The old man is snoring





 One of the very few things that I missed about living in the midwest when I was in California, were the summer thunderstorms. There is such an indescribable electric excitement in the air when the temperature suddenly shifts in the late evening and the thunderheads roll in. My husband has been amazed by our lightening storms since we've lived here this summer. One night a few months ago we came home late in a storm. The baby woke up and all three of us just sat on our back porch and watched the rain coming down in sheets at 3 a.m. It was breathtaking. The entire seven years that I lived in California I probably saw lightening ten times. Tonight was one of those nights when two hours ago the heavy, wet, 89 degree humidity was still hanging in the air...and now it's about 75 and beautifully, brilliantly, storming. One of my favorite authors has a fitting line in his book Little Children, "It's funny, in the middle of winter you can't even imagine a day like this. And if you could it would probably seem okay." When I was living in Anaheim I couldn't even imagine a storm like this. Sometimes it creeps up on me, that feeling of liking it here. 


"Even though my heart is torn, I will praise you in this storm." - Mark Hall

No comments: