Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

New Gong-guangs

       I'm not sure what gene makes certain kids develop into "blanket children" but I was a hard-core blanket lover when I was small. My family says that I used to call it my "gong-guang"....? I've been struggling with my son's blanket selection for a while now. He is definitely a cuddle-bug who loves his blankets too. The problem is, all of his thousands of blankets are heavy and thick. Nursing a baby in any temperature over 70 degrees, while attempting to keep some form of modesty has become a big issue for me. Babies produce crazy amounts of head-sweat and are likely to implode into a ball of fire if left to nurse under a think blanket for too long. My sister has been needing a lightweight blanket too. Her 15 month-old feels the need to cover her legs with a blanket every.single.time. she is in her car seat. Their car's air conditioning is broken and the weather is heating up.To avoid heat-exhausted babies something needed to be done.
I've been very inspired by these burp cloths from Ikea. They are light and airy and seem to be the perfect weight for a "summer blanket." Too bad they are so small.

 

I started out with some 100% cotton "shirt" fabric. I found that a yard and a quarter seems to be the perfect size for a nursing blanket. It allows me to tuck one corner under my arm, stretch the blanket over the baby, and hold the opposite corner in my hand (thus forcing my son to stay under the blanket).

              
After 3.29 days my sister finally found the perfect letter L for her daughter. The G blanket is for a friend's son. I enlarged the fonts taken from a Word document on a scanner. Then, I ended up tweaking the L just a bit. Queen Older Sister was displeased with the look of the first one. When I was shopping for the supplies this morning, I had to ask the fabric store employee "Where is that stuff that holds the other stuff together...?" She taught me the word "interfacing," now I feel like a professional. I had some issues with the interfacing not melting enough/melting too much, but I think the problems come from my inexperience. With a little more practice I think I could learn to love interfacing. It made it so easy to cut out the curvy letters.

                          

I had the joy of sewing on my grandma's old Sears Kenmore machine. I love how it feels so heavy duty and cuts through the fabric like butta'. I found these old electric scissors in her drawer and had to try them out. They kind of scared me. I put them back in the drawer.

   

After sewing the edges under this is the final product. I'm really happy with how they turned out. Queen Older Sister wanted her L on a diagional, but I thought the simple G looked best squarely upright. They ended up only costing $7 each to make (but took more hours to make then I expected). Yay for no more over-heated babies!

1 comment:

Tricia Lee Riggio said...

those are cute! I love how bold!