Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tiny Gifts

"And every breath that is in your lungs is a tiny little gift to me." - Jack White



When we were still living in our apartment in California I remember sneaking up over the pack-n-play and snapping this Polaroid. After it developed I just stood there and held the photo over the tiny baby who was lying below me. He was sleeping there in the exact same pose that I had captured. I knew that for these few minutes, before he stretched his tiny rolled-up fists into a new position, reality and the snapshot were blurred together. I paused and glanced back and forth between the two for as long as the universe allowed. As I remained there on the cold tile floor, a valid thought came to my mind for the first time. The thought was that, as a mother, my life will be full of moments like this- fleeting moments where I try to grasp every detail of what his life is in this very second.

2 comments:

Eve said...

beautiful.

Emery Jo said...

yes. and writing it all down will help sooo much!! You are a wonderful writer. I can't wait to read more!

:)